Sunday 12 December 2010

Fright night

All was quiet on the western front.

We were all sound asleep and I was having rather an excellent dream......then it happened.....

WAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!

Right beside my ear.

It takes a moment to gather the demolished remnants of brain and nerves plus the discovery that Anglo Saxon is your first language after all.

"I'M LOST, MUMMY" roars the tiny, invisible presence somewhere to my left. "I CAN'T FIND YOU AND IT'S DARK". Cue tears and snot.

I muttered something about adjusting the volume control and started to fumble for the light. Said light fell on the floor and there was no point in trying to rescue it as the bulb had gone. I made a mental note to screw it to the table. With a six inch nail.

"It's ok, I'll find you, don't cry" I said and went round the bed with my arms sweeping blindly to try and find the source of the noise.
I find him and lift his tiny frame into our bed. He feels all tight and scared.

I cuddle him tightly and feel him relax. He starts to tell me what had terrified him but only a "There was a ..." came out and he fell asleep again.

Now, all the shehanigans had an effect on the Farmer's bladder so he got up and went to pad through to the bathroom. He managed a few steps before I heard a clatter, twang and an Oath.
When he came back to bed, he pulled the covers over himself crossly and I whispered to him "What happened?"
"I trod on the bairn's toy guitar" came the huffy reply.

Well, God forgive me and I don't know if it was lack of sleep or what but I could feel the giggle start somewhere in my mid stomach then it spread until I had to stuff my hand into my mouth. Tears came and everything.
We did get back to sleep eventually but I can honestly say that I cried myself to sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, I am so enjoying your blog! And this particular post resonates strongly with me. Anglo Saxon is my first language too :)

    ReplyDelete