Friday 3 February 2012

Locusts and pox

The good news is that the fire for the farm has finally arrived today despite being ordered in October but hey!

The not such great news is that it is minus silly figures outside and the fire needs to be put in.

Normally, it would not be a problem but something had not been right somehow with The Farmer and our youngest son. "Something behind the eyes" as my Granny used to say.

I have been given the role of Nurse Ratchett this past few weeks, wafting about with steam inhalations, decongestants, Calpol and the odd hot toddy, all to no avail.

The Farmer is very down indeed after the loss of his friend and I wondered if his resistance had lowered with all the events of the last few months... he and our young son took to flopping miserably on the sofa and punctuated the air with sniffs every few minutes. Drove me daft.

Well, it has all become clear.

Chickenpox!

As welcome as a pack of Tesco mince or a landowner's agent.

Then the water supply froze.

I am just waiting for the plague of locusts whilst applying calamine lotion to any waif that passes and eating enough garlic to hopefully stave off any germ that looks at me sideways.

Our Eldest son is holding the fort, feeding the cattle and sheep, keeping us all at arm's length. I caught a whiff of garlic when he flew in to grab some supplies (tobacco) and flew out again.

We just have to sit this out, scratch, sniff, inhale steam and the odd frozen fag outside, eat chocolate and garlic then wait for the thaw.

I do this for the sheer glamour of rural life, you know ;)

10 comments:

  1. Chicken pox is miserable as an adult. Antihistamines can alleviate the itching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miserable, but Hurrah for the elder son holding the fort.

    I hope the fire is now happily blazing away. You must be happy to have it in this weather and two invalids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear this - hope you are coping! Men patients always really try my patience (pun intended!) so I wish you good health and strength to cope...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your commiserations!

    The Farmer is the worst patient in the world and asked me if I could give him anything for a sore face.....oh, it was tempting.

    On the mend now, last of the sniffs, spots less itchy * thanks to the antihistamines* (you angels) but still in confinement to prevent people catching shingles.
    Thank goodness for dogs needing long walks and more fags than strictly necessary. GentlePuffingOtter, not smoking dogs.

    How on earth do you get rid of a thousand moles? They all appear to have congregated under our fields (none on the neighbour's fields). Even the fields have spots all over them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Argh, typical! I'm sending get (warm) and well soon vibes your way! I've been down with the lurgy for the last two weeks so I can definitely sympathise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've noticed moles being very active this week, despite the sub zero temperatures. Seems to have encouraged them rather than the reverse, but have no anti-mole advice I'm afraid.

    Glad the spots are receding!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Moles are getting to stay a little while longer (although I saw an old fashioned mole catcher advertise in the paper)

    I have shingles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear that you have the shingles now. Hope you are all coping in this weather, although I think we have it worse down in the Fens than you have it up there at the moment. -9 here tonight....but we are sitting by our fire, so I hope you get yours in and working very soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your kind words.

    It is very mild indeed here and the snowdrops are out. I even hung out a little washing for the first time in ages.

    We are thinking of you enduring the rough winter conditions- keep safe and warm. x

    ReplyDelete